Loquax Competitions

Loquax Competitions (https://www.loquax.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Techie Computing Help (https://www.loquax.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Windows Live Mail - Windows Essentials 2012 - Warning (https://www.loquax.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=634284)

Towser 13-12-15 21:19

Windows Live Mail - Windows Essentials 2012 - Warning

As per emails set out, Microsoft are changing the way their email services work. As part of this it means that Windows Live Mail was not going to work once the change was implemented, unless you installed an update from Microsoft.

My WLM had been playing up recently and freezing (after working flawlessly for years) so i decided to install the update to see if this fixed the problem....

Surprise surprise, it didn't, it actually made it worse. Windows Live Mail has now been quickly deleted from my PC as reliability of an email client for any comper is a must.

Just some advance warning for all our fellow Loquats that this is an issue that is known, and probably implemented on purpose, of our ever caring Microsoft, I assume in an effort to move people on to Windows 10.

I've now got myself setup with Mozilla Thunderbird to handle my hotmail/live email accounts and so far so good. There are a lot of email clients out there, but make sure it's one from a reputable company. (Don't want someone hijacking your wins ;-) )

Mozilla Thunderbird will be added to the useful programs list at the top of this forum.

HTH

Towser

ibs17 14-12-15 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser (Post 4077628)
As per emails set out, Microsoft are changing the way their email services work. As part of this it means that Windows Live Mail was not going to work once the change was implemented, unless you installed an update from Microsoft.

My WLM had been playing up recently and freezing (after working flawlessly for years) so i decided to install the update to see if this fixed the problem....

Surprise surprise, it didn't, it actually made it worse. Windows Live Mail has now been quickly deleted from my PC as reliability of an email client for any comper is a must.

Towser

In my case I downloaded the update (small file just over 1mb) installed it and Live mail now works flawlessly again.

Towser 14-12-15 18:01

Forbes Article on the issues

See the above, i'm afraid WLM may be on it's last legs. There are some "Fixes" but it's a temporary solution.

I think i'll stick to a new client for now and get used to using that for my comping needs :-)

Updated the Useful Programs yesterday with the email client i'm using. If anyone else has one from a reputable company they'd like me to add to the thread post in Useful Programs and i'll update :-)

HTH

Towser

ZippyZappy 20-12-15 16:58

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for years and it's never given me any problems, although recent versions don't unify my junk folders (accounts) which is a bit annoying because I have to click on each account to retrieve the emails instead of Thunderbird doing it for me. :-)