Welcome, Unregistered. You last visited: Today at 21:03
Go Back   Loquax Competitions > Loquax Legacy Forums > Techie Computing Help

Forum Posts New & Daily Comps Advents Closing Soon Prize Directory Comp Categories Help

Notices

Old 25-08-03, 10:24
Norn' Iron' Duck

Arrow =-Useful Programs-=

Useful Programs You Should Have

Anti Viral Programs
Avast! Antivirus
AVG Antivirus
Ad-Aware Antivirus
Avira AntiVir
Comodo Antivirus

Ad/Spyware Removers
Spybot Search and Destroy
MalwareBytes
SUPERAntiSpyware
SpyWare Blaster

Spam Filters
Spamihilator
Mail Washer
SpamWeasel

Cleaners
Note: cleaners wipe your history, reset passwords and clear visited links
Windows Cleanup

Specific Viral Removal Tools
Symantec

Form Fillers
RoboForm Form Filler(Cheap purchase cost)

Web Browsers
Google Chrome
FireFox
Internet Explorer
Opera Browser

Media Playing Utilities
WinAmp Media Player
Windows Media Player
iTunes
Quick Time Media Player
Flash Player
Shockwave Player
Java Run Time Environment

Communication Tools
Mini Internet Relay Chat (mIRC)
Yahoo Messenger
AOL Instant Messenger
Trillian Chat

Office Alternative
OpenOffice

E-Mail Clients
Mozilla Thunderbird

Towser

Post edited; 13-12-15 at 21:30. Reason: Update December 2015
  The following 27 users say thanks to Towser for this post:
Old 25-08-03, 11:25
I'm a girl

thank you, had the majority of them but it is very useful.
Old 25-08-03, 14:56
Silver Duck

Thank you for these I am downloading them now.
Old 26-08-03, 06:47
Dog Master

Spybot stops some of them in real time too.
Old 26-08-03, 11:50
Silver Duck

Pestpatrol has found 168 pests. How do I remove them manually? Do I just need to find those cookies and delete them or is there something else to do.
Old 26-08-03, 12:09
Propped up in a corner.
Moonlighting's Prizes

Another one that stops spyware here
Old 26-08-03, 12:50
Silver Duck

thanks Scotsgirl which one do you use?
Old 26-08-03, 13:08
Propped up in a corner.
Moonlighting's Prizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinglucy
thanks Scotsgirl which one do you use?
I've been using the paid version of pest patrol for must be nearly a year now, and spybot for months, between the 2 my puter gets kept spyware free- hopefully :D
Old 27-08-03, 15:27

theres some good programs here, which I`ve now doloaded.

good 1 :P
Old 27-08-03, 21:33
Dog Master

Anyone use the Tweakers? Any side effects apart from the good ones?
Old 28-08-03, 16:54
Dog Master

Thanks Towser. I'll have a look at next week when things are hopefully back to normal & I can use my PC again.
Old 09-11-03, 15:09
Silver Duck

Just downloaded and ran spybot on my brothers pc. It found absolutely loads of things, I never thought it would stop :o
Now it says Spybot-Sd is now applying the necessary fix to your network drivers and you can click on ok. Is this safe to do?
Old 12-11-03, 18:49
Silver Duck

Thank you Towser, it is much faster now
Old 24-11-03, 07:58
Grand Duck

Default windows clean up

ran windows cleanup yesterday .since then i have noticed i havent got my sig its from gif animations .is this anything to do with cleanup.thankyou
Old 24-11-03, 08:04
Dog Master

Default Re: windows clean up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynttrl
ran windows cleanup yesterday .since then i have noticed i havent got my sig its from gif animations .is this anything to do with cleanup.thankyou
No. It's because the sig is unavailable from the site, but the site does seem to be up & running. There is a note that says they are performing system maintenance though.

I noticed that snowman_11 is not 11th in the images. You may want to look at the site & see if you need to change the link slightly.
Old 24-11-03, 11:20
Grand Duck

thank you jill i will try it again later
Old 10-12-03, 17:54
Comping Queen
nicola78's Prizes

Towser I have looked at all of the programs that you have mentioned on here about spam, but what I am after is one that is free and works alongside Hotmail as that is where 99.9% of my spam comes from....
Old 10-12-03, 17:59
Comping Queen
nicola78's Prizes

I think this is ideal for people to download especially for people who love forums like me.... Spell Checker

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.
Old 10-12-03, 22:47
Ca member t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser
Would just like to remind everyone, that if you know of a free program that has helped you out alot, post it here or pm me and i'll make sure i get the list updated asap.

Cheers

Towser
I think the ultimate free download is a complete Office suite that rivals Microsoft Office but not at its exorbitant price. I use it myself and it's available here

YOU can hit back at the fraudsters - https://www.bobbear.net
Old 15-12-03, 10:13

Default AdShield, UltimateZip, WordWeb

Here are some other programs that I've found useful:

AdShield (trial version) - excellent at blocking pop-ups and adverts. The trial version is completely free and does not require registration.

UltimateZip - freeware replacement for WinZip.

WordWeb - a very handy dictionary/thesaurus. Select a word, press Ctrl-Alt-W or click the system tray icon, and info about the word will be shown. Also handy for checking the spelling of a single word but can't be used to check multiple words.
Old 30-01-04, 20:11
Comping Queen
nicola78's Prizes

I can certainly recommend Avant Browser as an alternative to Explorer.

Top 11 reasons to use Avant Browser

Flash Animation Filter: More than 85% of all flash animation on web pages is advertising. These flash files are pretty large, and normally take up to 90% of the size of the page you're visiting. With Avant Browser you can save this bandwidth by blocking the download of these flash files with just one easy click. Avant Browser also provides options to block downloads of pictures, videos, sounds and ActiveX components. With these options users can control their bandwidth and speed up page loading.

Built-in Pop-up Stopper: Easily eliminate unwanted pop-up pages automatically with just one click.

Additional Mouse Functions: If you click a link in the web page with the middle mouse button, the link will be opened in a new window in the background. And there are two handy mouse gestures in Avant Browser. The first allows you to navigate backward one step by holding the right button down and then clicking on the left button simultaneously. The second allows you to navigate forward one step by reversing the buttons used: hold left, and click right.

Multi-Window Browsing: Browse multiple web pages simultaneously. All opened pages can be easily stopped, refreshed, closed or arranged with one click.

Real Full Screen Mode and Alternative Full Desktop mode: When you enable Full Screen Mode, all you see is the webspace, with no toolbars or other clutter. They are simply autohidden! Move your mouse over the top or bottom and find the toolbar and tab bar respectively. Avant Browser also provides Full Desktop Mode, which is the same as Full screen mode, but differs in that your windows task bar stays visible.

Built-in Google Search Engine: Avant Browser provides a built-in search engine, Google. Built-in search engine enables user to search for web pages, images, groups, directories, news, lyrics and software in Internet. International users will be glad to know that you can set avant to utilize any of up to 64 google mirrors by default!

Full IE Compatibility: Avant Browser comes with all Internet Explorer functions, including Cookies, ActiveX Controls, Java Script, Real player and Macromedia Flash. IE bookmarks are automatically imported into Avant Browser.

Records Cleaner: With Avant Browser, you can easily keep your privacy by deleting Typed Addresses, Auto-Complete Passwords, Cookies, History of Visited Web Sites, Temporary Internet Files and Search Keywords.

Safe Recovery: If Avant Browser is closed improperly, all open web pages are saved and will be automatically reopened at next startup.

Translation: Avant Browser is available in many many languages to suit our international audience. If you your language is not available yet (see above), you can easily translate a small file and support for your native language can be included in the next version. It's quite simple.

Skins: Express your creativity by making a skin for Avant using a custom, easy to use program called Avant Browser Skin Factory, or use any of the many and varied skins made by other users.
Old 02-02-04, 08:53
Gold Duck

Would just like to thank Bobbybear for advising Pest Patrol. Although I keep Norton and run Zone Alarm, yesterday beatnik.com took over my homepage. I ran Adaware and deleted everything, but my homepage kept defaulting to 'beatnik'. After reading this list, I installed Pest Patrol which picked up 'Holystic' dialler. I didn't want to mess with the registry to get rid of this little blighter, so went back to a Restore point prior to yesterday.
This seems to have got rid of Holystic, and I would just like to thank you for the excellent advice you give on this forum.
Libra
How though, could I be 'taken over' when running Norton and Zone Alarm?
Old 02-02-04, 08:58
Dog Master

Firewalls don't stop pests unfortunately. That's why you need things like PestPatrol.
Old 02-02-04, 09:30
Gold Duck

I too installed PestPatrol yesterday and I'm most impressed. - Thank you from me too, Bobby! :D
Old 02-02-04, 12:07
Gold Duck

I'd like to thank Towser, too, for starting this extemely useful thread. - Thanks ever so much, Towser! :D
Old 05-02-04, 11:50
Dog Master

People who prefer to have a CD copy of things may like to check out PC Tools - best of 2004.

It has Roboform, Opera & loads more for the cover price of 4.99.

The other disk has Sygate Personal Firewall on it.
Old 06-02-04, 06:11

Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips on here. I am very non-techie but can usually find something here to help with any problems. :)

Mary
Old 27-02-04, 10:02
steeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser
Would just like to remind everyone, that if you know of a free program that has helped you out alot, post it here or pm me and i'll make sure i get the list updated asap.

Cheers

Towser
a couple of cool pieces of free software i use are the Firefox web browser http://texturizer.net/firefox/ , it has built in automatic form filling functionality built into it, useful for repetitive form filling required in online competition entering. its also got tons of other useful features that make it a lot better than Internet Explorer

Another nice program i use is genietexter, which lets you send free SMS messages http://members.lycos.co.uk/geniesms/
Old 05-03-04, 16:15
Dog Master

SpyBot has important updates. If you are using it don't forget to get them.
Old 11-04-04, 15:00
Just Some Bird!

Must say a huge thank you for this thread, hopefully the links will have educated my boyfriend to not just rely on a wing and a prayer, and then ring me when his PC gets a virus. Shouldn't be allowed access to the net without even basic virus cover! Grrr!
I've given him all the links that he could possibly need, so now he just has to convince his mother as to why they MUST install them...(He's nearly 24, when exactly do they cut the apron strings???) as she will freak if he so much as changes the font on their pc.

Tags - Links To Related Competitions/Posts
antivirus, form fillers, roboform, useful programs