Welcome, Unregistered. You last visited: Today at 18:08
Go Back   Loquax Competitions > Loquax Legacy Forums > Techie Computing Help

Forum Posts New & Daily Comps Closing Soon Prize Directory Comp Categories Help

Notices

Old 12-02-07, 08:21
Dog Master

Probably the FREE HOME version unless you are using Linux.
Old 28-02-07, 11:36
Rubber Duck

Default computer help

thankyou so much.did not realise there was so many.
Old 03-05-07, 04:41
Completion due 2019

Another for the list

MS bought out a company called SysInternals who had a fantastic program for checking what starts at startup. It's called Autoruns.

It's like an ultimate Msconfig, It requires no install. You just download and unzip to folder and run the EXE when required. It runs on ALL versions of windows including 64bit.

You can get it here
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx
(download link at bottom of the page)

It is also a very small download @ 490KB
Old 11-06-07, 19:36
Egg
minitank's Prizes

Default Sysinternal

All the Sysinteral utils are good although probably a bit techie for the average user but can be very useful diagnosing difficult problems. Filemon and Regmon can show you what a program is accessing for instance.

I would also propose Audacity and Exact Audio Copy as excellent audio utilities. You can use Audacity to record internet radio or convert records to mp3s. Exact Audio Copy rips CD to MP3 and will retry reading the cd if it encounters read errors to get the best quality copy.

Malcolm
Old 11-06-07, 22:03
Account Closed

Trend Micro cw shredder, for cool we search trojans etc, free http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html

spyware blaster, free

SUPER AnTispyware, free edition http://www.superantispyware.com/

avoid real player unless it is downloaded from the BBC websites and thus guaranteed no spyware

Post edited; 11-06-07 at 22:07.
Old 18-08-07, 11:27
Dog Master

http://www.winsupersite.com/

This site was mentioned on BBC News 24 Click. They said it was very easy to read/understand.
Old 22-09-07, 09:20
Mallard Duck

Default PC Decrapifier

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

This is a good program for searching for and taking out all the Free Trial software from a new computer. Mine had Norton Antivirus 90 day free trial. I removed it using add/delete programs which seemed to do the trick. It was only when Word was taking 5/10 minutes to open that I did a search and found this program. It found Norton was still running and blocking Word. This sorted the problem out. Only need to use the once but worth it.
Old 01-02-08, 14:36
OAP

Here is a free programme that lets you do a bulk backup of emails from Outlook Express.

Outlook Express Extraction

It saves them as .eml files, handy for transfering to a new pc if you are not to sure how to do it through OE.

-----
Jim
Old 17-07-08, 09:35
Mandarin Duck

On the original list
Sygate seems to have been taken over by Symantec.
Old 06-09-08, 18:58
Loquat

Useful program to convert avi to dvd and burn it.

convertXtodvd.

Found it very easy.

Old 01-10-08, 22:22
Peking Duck

Many thanks for the list! just checking what i need and what i already have from it. G.x.
Old 02-10-08, 05:47
Comping Queen
nicola78's Prizes

FileHippo has a little gadget that will scan your computer and tell you about all the programs that need updating:

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/
Old 27-11-08, 12:37
Mallard Duck
Allyben's Prizes

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Don't think this has been mentioned - excellent little program to clean up all the left over files on your comp, cookies, history etc.
Old 27-11-08, 12:38
Comping Queen
nicola78's Prizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyben View Post
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Don't think this has been mentioned - excellent little program to clean up all the left over files on your comp, cookies, history etc.
Been using this for ages now and highly reccomended...
Old 28-11-08, 01:55
Grand Geekess
sophia8's Prizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc26 View Post
when I went into "download" on Avast site there is a list of 12 to choose from - which should I choose, or do you need to download all? - I'm hopeless at all this sort of stuff, the Norton which was on our computer when we bought it is about to expire and I don't know what to do!
Completely uninstall Norton before you install any other anti-virus program - two AV programs running at the same time will create problems.
Old 13-01-09, 18:34
Grand Geekess
sophia8's Prizes

Default Free Windows software

OpenDisc All the many free open source programs for Windows (Open Office, Firefox, Gimp etc) conveniently put together in one download, so that you don't have to search the internet for them. Now you don't have to pay for software!
It comes as an ISO image, which has to be burned onto a DVD.
Old 24-02-10, 17:43
Diamond Duck
Polarbear's Prizes

I have added some newer programmes on This Thread which should prove useful/helpful for cleaning up your computer if you get infected.
Old 25-05-11, 19:12
Mallard Duck

This thread badly needs updating:

What about Google Chrome, CCleaner, Unlocker, uTorrent, Soulseek, Shareaza, GreenBrowser, Maxthon, Slimbrowser, FlashGet, Mozilla Thunderbird, Skype, FastStone Image Viewer, FastStone Image Resizer, IrfanView, XnView, OpenOffice, The Gimp, Paint.net, VLC, Media Player Classic .... all good freeware stuff to name but a few.

Netscape ....... Is that still around????? And no IE8 IE9????

Windows 7 is out, no stuff for that????

Last update 2009 ??????????

Post edited; 25-05-11 at 20:14.
Old 25-05-11, 20:40
Diamond Duck
Polarbear's Prizes

Feel free to create a new thread with any programmes you feel will be useful, including links and operating systems they are suitable for if not made clear on the download page (i don't think you want people downloading and installing programmes that won't work on their system, messing it all up and then needing help from you to sort it out again) so long as its all legit software, if in doubt about any run it past jason first.

Bear in mind not everyone uses windows 7 or ie 9 yet, some still use vista or xp and i think someone mentioned a short while back still using windows 98- nothing wrong with that so long as their computer does what it needs to do for them, ie surf the web perhaps or send emails or lets them enter competitions they may not need anything else other than anti-virus/anti-spyware protection.

A mod or jason/kirsty can then place the list in the top half of this forum section and make it what is called a "sticky" so that its not left in the normal thread list and gets buried over time.

CCleaner is on the thread i have linked too, Openoffice is mentioned and linked from sophia8's posting.

From a personal perspective i've already had skype but never really used it, might as well talk using messenger, but its been mentioned on the forums before, not sure how useful it might be to some, but thats just my own opinion, someone might like it. We have a logitec webcam with built in mike so can talk to daughter in Holland over that, which suits us a lot better than skype does.

Anyway i digress, as i said there is nothing stopping you creating a thread containing any programmes you consider useful, and if in doubt about any ask the boss or one of the mods.
Old 17-06-11, 08:27
Egg

Mostly problems are not solving through Anti Virus.Some people recommended me for Network Management.
Old 04-05-12, 11:44
Merad

Default Useful programs

Noted that this thread is quite old, but has anyone any new software they find extremely useful for comping?
Old 19-05-12, 14:17
Silver Duck

Default How to speed up a PC

I found some useful information about speeding up your pc -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...up-pc-computer

I like the CCleaner and Defraggler programs which you can get from here http://www.piriform.com/products.

CCleaner gets rid of files you don't need and Defraggler tidies up the hard disk.

Post edited; 19-05-12 at 14:57.
Old 19-05-12, 14:44
gardening member

Although this is not specifically for computing can I give a plug to recuva http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000...-10753287.html

This is a free utility that helps recover stuff you have accidentally deleted.

I also had a Paragon recovery programme that recovered data from my computer when I couldn't get it to start. This was offered free on their Facebook page for a time, don't know if it is still free.
Old 18-07-12, 14:22
Egg

Default Diigo and Evernote

Hello all
Two browser plugins I find useful for general organisation stuff, bookmarking and keeping records (oh my failing memory) are
Diigo (Firefox,Chrome,Safari plus a simple bookmarklet for most other browsers.Also iPhone/iPad & Android devices). Helps me keep track of sites,bookmarks and make notes synced across various devices.
I do also use Evernote too (most browsers and devices). Both are equally useful.It's just what works for you. If a pen and paper work better for you then great. We all click differently with different things.
Old 23-08-12, 21:05
Hatchling

I really like Advanced System Care.
I have been using it for about 3 years now and I haven't had a single negative experience with it so far.

It's one of those all-in-one programs. It cleans my registry, does a privacy sweep, removed malware etc etc. It does a complete cleanup and I run a quick scan every now and then which takes about 2 min (and I've got a terrabyte of data!)

I can really recommend the software and I can also recommend the place where I first found it.
www.downloads.com is still one of the best placed to go for free software. Whether it is Virusscanner software, Download managers or Video-codecs. It's all listed there. It's one of the few websites I trust and like (no pupups, annoying adds etc)
Old 26-11-14, 13:20
Gold Duck

Although I am not techie-gifted, I can manage my website OK and do mods to its pages when I need to, but something has come up recently that is beyond my compass. Sorry if this seems too basic a question to ask, but could someone tell me how to log into my website control panel? - If it is relevant, the source code is in HTML, and PHP may be another clue. - I lack an understanding/good recall of the vocabulary of techie computer stuff.

Thanks for any help offered.
Old 30-05-15, 13:12
Lucky Duck
greenfinger5's Prizes

Default Thank you

I downloaded the RoboForm & it is really useful. I am not very techie, so no idea what half of these things do!
But I use RoboForm every 'comping' time.
Old 13-12-15, 20:24
Norn' Iron' Duck

Thumbs up

Update to include an email client

Tags - Links To Related Competitions/Posts
antivirus, form fillers, roboform, useful programs