Welcome, Unregistered. You last visited: Today at 08:50
Go Back   Loquax Competitions > Loquax Legacy Forums > Techie Computing Help

Forum Posts New & Daily Comps Closing Soon Prize Directory Comp Categories Help

Notices

Old 31-10-18, 05:56
Lucky Duck
debbied's Prizes

Default message on my email account

Yesterday - in my junk email I had a message from me - stating that a hacker had hacked my email and was using my log in!!
Now they showed a password that I use for all my Radio log in - and anything that has nothing to do with money - just comping stuff.
I did not open the email - it was on my iphone and I deleted it. This morning I went into my deleted email and reported it as a phishing email.

Should I be very worried - or should I take it as an attempt for someone to panic me and maybe have opened the email and shown them I existed.
But I must say it had a picture I use on one of my accounts as well as my name on it...

Any help or thoughts please???
Old 31-10-18, 07:05
Gold Duck

You can check whether your account has been compromised, type your email into this website.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Good luck!
Old 31-10-18, 09:14
Silver Duck
paranoidpearl's Prizes

I am signed up to receive Community Alerts from Hampshire Constabulary.

This is their most recent alert which you might find useful.

Quote:

Cyber criminals send victims their own passwords in extortion scam

Cyber criminals are attempting to blackmail unsuspecting victims by claiming to have used the victims' password to install spying malware on the victims' computer. The criminals claim theyíve recorded videos of the victim watching adult material by activating their webcam when they visit these websites. What makes this scam so convincing is that the email usually includes a genuine password the victim has used for one of their online accounts. We believe criminals obtain the passwords from data breaches.

What to do if you get one of these emails?

Donít reply to the email, or be pressured into paying. The police advise that you do not pay criminals. Try flagging the email as spam/junk if you receive it multiple times. Perform a password reset as soon as possible on any accounts where youíve used the password mentioned in the email. Always use a strong, separate password for important accounts, such as your email. Where available, enable two-factor authentication (2FA). Always install the latest software and app updates. Install, or enable, anti-virus software on your laptops and computers and keep it updated.

If you receive one of these emails, report it to Action Fraudís phishing reporting tool. If you have received one of these emails and paid the ransom, report it to your local police force.

Message Sent By
Action Fraud (Action Fraud, Administrator, National)
Old 31-10-18, 09:19
Mallard Duck

I got this too. Checked the https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and both of my accounts (Old ones i rarely use now had been compromised. However the password the email showed was not a current password and one I probably used over 5 years ago. The first thing I did was change all my email passwords but not on my computer but on my tablet. I then checked the computer with my virus checker, malwarebytes and 2 online checkers. None found any problem with my computer so I think it is just a bluff to see if anyone would pay up.

Post edited; 31-10-18 at 09:20.
Old 13-11-18, 13:16
Rubber Duck

I've got one. It was so funny because it didn't have my name, my address/password/pone. Noting I really do. It was something like "you're so naughty , you visit such a dirty websites (i don't), it would be embarrassing if we publish you browsing history (Yeah - I'm sitting on parenting websites - so-o-o naughty and embarrassing). Pay so we would not do it

And it was pseudo "undelivered" message that ended up straight into the spam folder. Which is really unlikely for undelivered messages. So I opened a header. Looked there - without any hiding it was posted "received from ... Poland". So I had another laugh and deleted it. Probably some schoolboy heard about that scam but didn't know how to do it properly... If it had some personal info - that would be scary.