Welcome, Unregistered. You last visited: Today at 20:18
Go Back   Loquax Competitions > Loquax Legacy Forums > Techie Computing Help

Forum Posts New & Daily Comps Advents Closing Soon Prize Directory Comp Categories Help

Notices

Old 13-12-15, 21:19
Norn' Iron' Duck

Exclamation Windows Live Mail - Windows Essentials 2012 - Warning

As per emails set out, Microsoft are changing the way their email services work. As part of this it means that Windows Live Mail was not going to work once the change was implemented, unless you installed an update from Microsoft.

My WLM had been playing up recently and freezing (after working flawlessly for years) so i decided to install the update to see if this fixed the problem....

Surprise surprise, it didn't, it actually made it worse. Windows Live Mail has now been quickly deleted from my PC as reliability of an email client for any comper is a must.

Just some advance warning for all our fellow Loquats that this is an issue that is known, and probably implemented on purpose, of our ever caring Microsoft, I assume in an effort to move people on to Windows 10.

I've now got myself setup with Mozilla Thunderbird to handle my hotmail/live email accounts and so far so good. There are a lot of email clients out there, but make sure it's one from a reputable company. (Don't want someone hijacking your wins )

Mozilla Thunderbird will be added to the useful programs list at the top of this forum.

HTH

Towser
Old 14-12-15, 14:01
Mallard Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser View Post
As per emails set out, Microsoft are changing the way their email services work. As part of this it means that Windows Live Mail was not going to work once the change was implemented, unless you installed an update from Microsoft.

My WLM had been playing up recently and freezing (after working flawlessly for years) so i decided to install the update to see if this fixed the problem....

Surprise surprise, it didn't, it actually made it worse. Windows Live Mail has now been quickly deleted from my PC as reliability of an email client for any comper is a must.

Towser
In my case I downloaded the update (small file just over 1mb) installed it and Live mail now works flawlessly again.
Old 14-12-15, 18:01
Norn' Iron' Duck

Forbes Article on the issues

See the above, i'm afraid WLM may be on it's last legs. There are some "Fixes" but it's a temporary solution.

I think i'll stick to a new client for now and get used to using that for my comping needs

Updated the Useful Programs yesterday with the email client i'm using. If anyone else has one from a reputable company they'd like me to add to the thread post in Useful Programs and i'll update

HTH

Towser
Old 20-12-15, 16:58
Mandarin Duck

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for years and it's never given me any problems, although recent versions don't unify my junk folders (accounts) which is a bit annoying because I have to click on each account to retrieve the emails instead of Thunderbird doing it for me.

Tags - Links To Related Competitions/Posts
windows live