Camelot, the people behind The National Lottery, have announced some new changes to the game. These changes will according to Camelot offer more chances than ever to become a millionaire. It is anticipated that the changes will come into effect in October but what can players expect to see?
Firstly there will be no price change - so it's still £2 a ticket. However there will be a lot more balls! From October players will be able to choose from a pot of 59 numbers as opposed to the current 49. This by our calculation reduces your chances of winning but Camelot claim there will be better odds.
A brief outline of what's changing
- 49 balls to increase to 59 balls
- Free ticket to 2 ball winners
- Millionaire raffle every game - one guaranteed winner
- Bigger rollover jackpots expected
- Odds of winning improved to 1 in 9.3
- Odds of winning the jackpot go to 1 in 45 million!
- No changes to price
Camelot say "in an average week, the chances of winning at least £1 million on the new game will be better than winning the jackpot on the current Lotto game"! However that's because they're also introducing a Millionaire Raffle which will guarantee at least two millionaires each week (one on Wednesday and one on Saturday).
As it will be harder to match 6 numbers from 59 it will be bigger rolling jackpots. That in turn should create more interest and some serious top prizes should your luck come in. At the lower end of the prize tree there's better news as all players who pick up just two numbers will be offered a free lucky dip ticket.
According to Camelot this means your chances of winning will go from 1 in 54 to 1 in 9.3. Whilst this sounds great the odds of taking that top prize have changed from 1 in 14 million to 1 in 45 million! Still that's fine provided you're getting a free lucky dip every now and then for your £2 ticket.
In fact if you look at the prize structure table the chances of winning on any strand has changed considerably.
- Match 6 - 1 : 13,983,816 will become 1 : 45,057,474
- Match 5 + Bonus Ball - 1 : 2,330,636 will become 1 : 7,509,579
- Match 5 - 1 : 55,491 will become 1 : 144,415
- Match 4 - 1 : 1,033 will become 1 : 2,180
- Match 3 - 1 : 57 will become 1 : 97
- Match 2 - new offer so 1 : 10.3
The new changes most certainly will get people talking about the lottery but will it get them reaching to spend their cash? We think this plays into the hands of Euromillions and rival lotteries. In addition bookmakers could also benefit from the changes. Only the big jackpots make this change as exciting as Camelot would like you to believe.
Related & Recent Articles
- Fixed Odds Lottos At Ladbrokes
- Cashword Red Scratchcard Review
- Jackpotjoy Launch Brand New Blotto Lotto
- Win A Chocolate Hamper In Pick A Chick Lotto
- £1.6Million Winner Is A Sky Vegas Jackpot King
- Latest News